Information on applications for a semester abroad at the HNU in summer semester 2024 (starting March 2024)
We look forward to receiving your application for a semester abroad at the HNU. Our application deadline for the upcoming semester is 15 November 2023. After a successful application you will receive your admission approximately 4 weeks after the deadline. We keep our applicants informed by email.
In only five steps to the HNU
Contact the International Office of your home university and apply for an exchange semester at the HNU
Your International Office nominates you for an exchange semester at the HNU
Apply online via our Mobility-Online platform. You receive the link after successful nomination by your home university.
In the online portal we ask you to enter or upload various information and documents (in English or German): personal data, curriculum vitae, language certificate (level B2 in the language of instruction (English or German)), letter of motivation, HNU course list, transcript of records, priorities for accommodation in the student residence (housing brochure see download section below), copy of identity card or passport and application photo.
Approximately one month after the application deadline, you receive your admission for the exchange semester
After admission, we provide you with further information on how to prepare for your stay abroad - on topics such as visa, health insurance and bank account. We help our exchange students to reserve a room in a student residence or support you in your (private) room search.
Everything worked like a well-oiled machine, so I did not have to worry about the paperwork or anything because the help was there.
- 1 May for the following winter semester (nomination deadline for partner universities: 15 April)
- 15 November for the following summer semester (nomination deadline for partner universities: 1 November)
Semester times (including orientation programme)
- winter semester: middle of September to middle of February
- summer semester: beginning of March to end of July / August
You are a student at the Oulu University of Applied Sciences and are aiming for a double degree in Information Management and Corporate Communications (IMUK)? In this case you study for two semesters at the HNU (starting in winter semester).
The application process is the same. In addition to the documents mentioned above you will need:
- Printout of the online application with photo and signature
- Application for admission to studies
- University entrance qualification, e.g. transcript of records of educational institute prior to university entrance (officially translated version)
You are not studying at one of our partner universities? You can apply for an exchange at the HNU as a freemover. Please contact us in advance.
Which language certificates does the HNU accept?
We ask our exchange students for a B2 level of English or German on the Common European Framework (CEFR) (opens in a new window) . Different kinds of certificates are accepted. The following information is valid for the English language (please contact us if you wish to study in German and wonder which proof you can submit):
- HNU language certificate (see download section) filled by your language department or your English teacher
- TOEIC (you have to show the minimum level in all the four disciplines): Reading: 385; Listening: 400; Speaking: 160; Writing: 150
- TOEFL : 567-636
- iBT (internet-based test) TOEFL (you have to show the minimum level in all the four disciplines): Reading: 18/30; Listening: 17/30; Speaking: 20/30; Writing: 17/30 = Total: 72-120
- (Toefl ITP does not include speaking skills and is therefore not accepted)
- IELTS: 6
- International Cambridge Certificate B2
In exceptional cases (e.g. if students just miss the given scores), we also give students the chance to hand in the B2 certificate before arrival. This means that you could also apply with a B1 proof and continue with English language courses in order to be able to hand in B2 before arrival. Please contact us in advance if this should apply to you.