BA Management for Health and Nursing Professions
What will be taught?
The classical, business administration subjects are of particular importance during the study period.
- health economics
- legal and
- and information technology topics of the health care system
as well as related scientific topics from
- therapy and
Beyond the scientific and methodological qualification, the study programme serves in particular the acquisition of personality-related and social key qualifications and reflection competences for the assumption of personnel management tasks.
Who is the course aimed at?
The degree programme is aimed at employees in health professions (such as health and nursing or child care, geriatric care, maternity care, physiotherapy, logotherapy and occupational therapy, medical assistants, etc.) who want to prepare for a management position or want to gain further qualifications in business administration.
This includes an understanding of business management processes and the health care industry with its economic, political and legal framework conditions. In addition, the students deal with current health policy topics and get to know the special features of this industry.
What career prospects does the degree programme offer?
Students who have completed this degree are qualified to assume specialised management positions or join specialist teams in hospitals, medical care centres, rehabilitation centres, large medical practices, inpatient care facilities, outpatient care services and outpatient therapy practices.
What additional qualifications are gained?
- In addition, nursing officer certification can be applied for on an individual basis (according to §71 SGB XI).
- Ten training points can be credited per semester to the “registration of nursing professionals” for participation.
- This degree qualifies the degree holder to manage a facility (according to §12 (1) sentence 2 AVPfleWoqG).
- BA programme graduates are qualified for nursing service management (according to § 57 AVPfleWoqG).
Contact and consultation
Would you like to find out more or do you need individual consulting?
Then take the opportunity and arrange a personal consultation with our degree programme directors or other contact persons, gladly via Zoom or by phone. If you are interested, please send a message via the respective contact form or contact us by e-mail.
Application for the degree programme
Apply for the programme from 15 November 2022 to 15 February 2023 for the summer semester via our application portal!
Summer semester: 15 November - 15 February
Application via the application portal is only possible during this period.
Info events about the degree programme
- Flyer of the degree programme (DE) (PDF, 2.37 MB - opens in a new window)
- Flyer on the entire range of postgraduate studies (DE) (PDF, 90.86 KB - opens in a new window)
- Study and Examination Regulations BA Management for Health and Nursing Professions (DE) (PDF, 143.86 KB - opens in a new window)
Overview of the programme
The standard duration of studies of ten semesters can be reduced by four semesters down to six on-campus semesters upon recognition of vocational training in a healthcare or nursing profession. The on-campus periods are scheduled in a compact format and entail two weeks per semester.
Students have the option of completing the programme with a university of applied sciences certificate after the 5th on-campus semester, or with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree after the 6th on-campus semester.
This part-time programme allows students to continue their professional activities, resulting in a high level of relevance in transfer between theory and practice.
The balanced number of students means that distances are kept short and personal contact to the professors is possible.
The paedagogical concept provides the structure for classes with various teaching formats (seminars, small group discussions, presentations and reflection sessions) as well as virtual units on the e-learning platform.
Type of programme
This programme is designed for employees in healthcare professions (such as healthcare and nursing, paediatric care, geriatric care, midwifery, physical, speech and occupational therapy, medical assistance, etc.) who are preparing for a management position or who want to pursue further qualifications in the area of business studies.
Two one-week blocks per semester
- Entrance qualification for a university or university of applied sciences and successful completion of a vocational training programme, spanning at least two years, as well as a minimum of six months of professional experience in a recognised healthcare profession
- Studying without a university entrance qualification: Applicants who have successfully completed a vocational training programme, spanning at least two years, and have at least three years of professional experience in a recognised healthcare profession may also be admitted to the programme without a university entrance qualification.
Special programme features
- The standard duration of study of 10 semesters can be reduced by 4 semesters for students with vocational training in a healthcare or nursing profession
- Students have the option of completing the programme with a certificate after the 5th on-campus semester (9th programme semester), or with a Bachelor of Arts after the 6th on-campus semester
This programme has been accredited by AHPGS Akkreditierung gGmbH since 2015.
- Business Administration in Healthcare and Nursing Facilities
- Methods of Empirical Social Research
- Health Economics
- Key Skill Qualification I – Communication, Moderation
- Key Skill Qualification II – Team Development
- Evidence-Based Guidelines
- Key Skill Qualification III – Conflict Management
- Personnel Management
- Quality and Risk Management
- Transfer Project I – Business Plan
- Information Management
- Personnel Management
- Current Aspects in Reference Disciplines
- Transfer Project II – Change Management
Graduation with a university of applied sciences certificate possible.
- Bachelor’s Colloquium
- Bachelor’s Thesis
Graduation with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree with 210 ECTS
Admission and Application
- Entrance qualification for a university or university of applied sciences as well as successful completion of at least two years of vocational training and a minimum of 6 months of full-time professional experience in a recognised healthcare profession.
- successful completion of at least two years of vocational training and at least three years of professional experience in a recognised healthcare profession. A further requirement is the successful completion of a university entrance examination. This consists of a 90-minute written test, a 20-minute oral interview and a maximum of 15 minutes of personal consultation.
The years of professional experience refer to full-time employment. In the case of part-time employment, the time specification is extended accordingly.
State-recognised health professions
- Geriatric nurse
- Occupational therapist
- Nursing staff
- Speech therapist
- Medical documentation officer
- Medical assistant or physician’s assistant
- Medical technical assistant (laboratory, radiology or function diagnostics)
- Surgical tech
- Pharmaceutical technician
- Dental assistant
- Other healthcare professions, assessed on an individual basis
Please register on the online HNU application portal and start the application process when the application period begins. All documents must be received by HNU in full by the end of the application period. Any applications submitted after the end of the application period will not be considered.
Please contact Ms Sonja Jaumann if you have any questions concerning requirements, recognition of credits for previous achievements or the application process in general.
With your admission notification, you will receive information about the deadline for your enrolment at the Neu-Ulm University of Applied Sciences.
First, you will need to apply for enrolment online. You will then need to sign the application for enrolment and mail it to the Neu-Ulm University of Applied Sciences along with the other enrolment documents. Please note that these must be submitted by the end of the enrolment period.
Please read the following important documents before you fill in the forms for enrolment at the Neu-Ulm University of Applied Sciences:
- IT User Regulations
- Library User Regulations
- Student Health Insurance Pamphlet
(These documents can be found on the application portal as well as in the Application Process/Admission section.)
Your documents must be complete when you enrol. If you fail to meet the deadline for enrolment, your admission notification will become invalid. We also ask that you remember to transfer the tuition fees on time.
Certificate of enrolment
You can conveniently print out your certificate of enrolment via the Studies and Exams Office online portal. You will need to use an iTAN, which you will receive in the mail following your enrolment.
You will be given an iTAN list at the beginning of your programme.
Please make sure that the Studies and Exams Office has your current address at all times. You can change your address on the online portal at any time.
Sounds interesting? Learn more here
- Subscribe to our ZfW Newsletter
- Folgen Sie uns auf LinkedIn (external link, opens in a new window)
- Follow us on Facebook (external link, opens in a new window)
- Follow us on Instagram (external link, opens in a new window)
- Flyer on the entire range of postgraduate studies (DE) (PDF, 90.86 KB - opens in a new window)
Frequently asked questions
What if changes within my job make it impossible for me to study?
You may study at a slower pace.
Please contact us and together we can come up with an individualised curriculum for a specific period of time.
What if I need to interrupt my studies due to family reasons?
You have the option of applying for a semester off. If you suspend your studies for an entire semester, no tuition fees will be charged.
How much does the programme cost per semester?
There are tuition fees of €1,450 per semester plus the student services fee.
This includes the costs for participation in all on-campus seminars, e-learning units and supervision by the lecturers.
What other costs do I need to be aware of, in addition to the tuition fees?
- Costs for travel to HNU
- Possibly accommodation costs, depending on the distance to your place of residence
- Costs for printing and copying
- Costs for books, as necessary
What happens if I don’t pass an exam?
You may repeat every exam.
Are there any study groups?
Yes, the programme is designed for learning in groups.
An internet platform and multimedia clubrooms are available for group work at HNU. The group structure has proven to be very effective and participants also make individual arrangements for studying in groups.
Am I required to inform my employer?
We strongly recommend making an arrangement with your employer, as you will need the understanding of your superiors during your studies. You may also be striving toward a future management position with your current employer.
Does the employer cover the cost of the programme?
Contact your employer. Some employers support their employees, generally by covering the tuition fees and/or awarding time off for on-campus seminars.
What should I do when I have holidays?
Holidays are necessary. We would, however, ask that you don’t plan your holidays during the on-campus weeks, as this would require you to catch up on large amounts of material. You are required to attend 80% of the on-campus seminars. Please coordinate your holidays with your study group.
What can I do if I have a question about a specific task?
Make use of the knowledge and support within your group and start by asking there. Questions directed to professors will also be answered in a timely fashion.
What happens if I exceed the standard duration of studies?
If you exceed the standard duration of studies, you will only be charged administrative fees in the amount of 250 euros, plus the student services fee.
Discover impressions of the degree programme
Experience the magnetic hospital concept live in the USA:
BA Management for Health and Nursing Professions students on field trip to Orlando, Florida