MBA in General Management
What will be taught?
The course teaches scientific methods and in-depth knowledge in key operational functional areas and in cross-divisional and management roles. The focus is on the acquisition of specialist knowledge and relevant expertise relating to
- Strategy design,
- Management control, and
The course also offers key personal skills as well as knowledge and expertise in the area of leadership. You can then apply what you have learnt in combination with your existing skill base to help you run a business.
The independent creation of study papers, strategies and solutions and the subsequent presentation of these to the group comprising students from different disciplines helps students acquire the enforcement strategies and leadership skills that any manager in a modern dynamic business environment is now expected to have.
Information evenings and one-to-one consultations via ZOOM
The next information event on the part-time MBA programme takes place on Wednesday, 12 May 2021 at 06:00 p.m.
The programme directors are currently offering one-to-one consultations via ZOOM. If you are interested, please send us an e-mail.
General Management 9 ECTS
- Fundamentals of business and economics
- Taxation and the law
Controlling and Finance Management 9 ECTS
- Internal and external accounting
- Controlling, investment accounting and financing
International Management and Intercultural Communication 9 ECTS
- International management
- Globalisation, internationalisation and international economic relations
Management and key skills 9 ECTS
- HR management
Entrepreneurship and Management 9 ECTS
- Entrepreneurship and management
- Strategic marketing
- Business plan
Business process management 9 ECTS
- Core operational functions and processes I
- Core operational functions and processes II
Accounting, Finance and Controlling 9 ECTS
- Balance sheet and finance management
Strategic Management 9 ECTS
- Business strategies and strategic planning
- Strategic business management
Master’s thesis and seminar 18 ECTS
Master of Business Administration (MBA) with 90 ECT
APPLICATION AND ADMISSION
- Tabular CV
- University degree certificate (copy)
- University entrance qualification (copy)
- Proof of at least two years’ professional experience
- Apply online! If you have any questions about your online application, please get in touch!
- A completed university degree in a non-economics subject or even in an economics degree programme worth at least 210 ECTS points.
- A degree with a final grade 2.5 or better.
- At least 2 years’ professional experience after completing the first degree.
- Applicants with a degree with at least 180 ECTS points can make up the missing credit points by taking additional courses.
- The responsible examination committee decides on admission to the course.
Would you like to get to know us and get first-hand information about courses at the Neu-Ulm University of Applied Sciences and the MBA in General Management?
Then why not come to our next information event? The programme director and the staff at the Centre for Continuing Education will be happy to provide you with all the information you need about the application and the course content including the study trip abroad. You will also have the opportunity to ask questions after the presentation.
Who is the course for?
The programme is aimed at junior managers and executives, such as:
- Engineers and business engineers
- IT professionals and commercial computer scientists
- Natural scientists, such as biologists, chemists, pharmacologists and physicists
- Educators and social educators
- Social- and administrative scientists
- Humanities scientists
What career opportunities does the programme open up?
Depending on the expertise acquired during their first degree, graduates from the programme are qualified to take on management positions. The programme has the following aims:
- Transfer of business, economic and legal know-how
- Transfer of key competencies in the areas of HR management and entrepreneurship
- Preparation for strategic management roles
- Preparation for work in an international environment
MBA IN GENERAL MANAGEMENT – AN OVERVIEW
Benefits of the degree programme
The degree programme takes place part-time and is easy for you to fit into your schedule with fixed attendance blocks. You will be able to combine your studies with your work and family commitments thanks to a perfect combination of university-based sessions and e-learning units. The modular structure and the selectability of the order of the modules to be studied ensure flexibility.
The course equips you with personal key skills as well as leadership skills and promotes personal development.
Students are able to prepare for exams in small learning groups and by having regular personal contact with teaching staff.
Upon successful completion, graduates are qualified to take on roles in general management.
Type of study
Part-time, intensive university-based sessions (Fridays and Saturdays) every two to four weeks
- The course is aimed, on the one hand, at graduates of a non-business degrees, such as engineers and business engineers, IT professionals and commercial computer scientists, natural scientists (biologists, chemists, pharmacologists and physicists), lawyers, educators and social pedagogues, and social and administrative scientists.
- The programme is also suitable for graduates with a first degree in Economics.
The university-based sessions are easy to fit into your schedule and take place on Fridays and Saturdays every two to four weeks. No attendance is required in the fifth semester, as students will be working on their master’s thesis during this period.
- A completed university degree worth at least 210 ECTS points
- University graduates with a bachelor's degree worth 180 ECTS points can make up the missing 30 ECTS points with relevant professional experience
- A degree with a final grade of 2.5 or better (or a pass in an entrance exam
- A minimum of 2 years’ professional experience after completing a first degree
For students starting the programme in the winter semester: 02 May - 31 August
For students starting the programme in the winter semester: 15 November - 31 January
What makes this programme special?
- Balanced combination of university-based attendance and self-study with e-learning units
- Flexibility based on a modular structure
- Business administration, economic and legal know-how
- In-depth and practice-based knowledge in strategy design, management control and entrepreneurship
- Key skills and leadership expertise to understand macroeconomic relationships and to successfully implement measures in leadership processes
- Interdisciplinary and international focus
- Opportunity to reflect on one’s leadership role and strengthen one’s leadership personality
FAQ – FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How often do lectures take place?
The university-based attendance is easy for you to fit into your schedule and takes place every two to four weeks. The lectures take place on Fridays and Saturdays. This means that you can combine them with your work and family commitments. There may occasionally be changes to the timing of the lectures due to the need to keep step with school holidays in Bavaria.
Do I have to have a master’s degree to be admitted to the part-time MBA programme?
No, you only have to satisfy the following requirements in order to be admitted onto the MBA programme:
- A completed university degree in a non-economics subject or in an economics degree programme with at least 210 ECTS points. Applicants with a university degree worth less than 210 ECTS points, but at least 180 ECTS points, can make up the missing points by taking additional courses at the Neu-Ulm University of Applied Sciences
- At least 2 years’ professional experience after completing a first degree
I have already completed a business degree. Should I still be interested in the part-time MBA programme in General Management?
Yes, the part-time MBA course in General Management should still be of interest because the course specifically prepares you for taking on management roles. The teaching of leadership skills enables you to acquire the ability to analyse company processes, correctly select the tools required for managing change processes and apply them successfully.
You also learn how to effectively implement the strategies you have been taught in decision-making and management processes. You learn how to manage employees accordingly, and steer company departments and companies operationally and strategically in the defined direction.
In order to further develop your leadership personality, you will be able to put your social skills to the test during the university-based attendance weekends, for example by taking part in discussions and debates and dealing with the team of students from a range of disciplines.
Independent preparation of study papers, strategies and solutions and the subsequent presentation of these to groups of students from various disciplines help students acquire the enforcement strategies and leadership skills that any manager in a modern dynamic corporate environment is now expected to have.
Should I be interested in the part-time MBA programme if I already have a master's degree?
If you wish to prepare specifically for taking on leadership and management roles, then the part-time MBA programme is for you.
The programme has the following aims:
- Teach you business administration, economic and legal know-how
- Teach you key competencies in the areas of HR management and entrepreneurship
- Prepare you for strategic management roles
- Help you reflect on the role of leadership and strengthen your leadership personality
- Prepare you for activities in an international work environment
Is there a requirement to attend lectures?
There is generally no requirement to attend lectures. However, the two seminars and the study trip abroad are mandatory. Documents from any lectures not attended can be easily accessed at any time via the e-learning platform.
By attending university-based sessions, you will improve your social skills. You will be using discussions and debates to learn how to work more effectively in a team and familiarise yourself with implementation strategies. Sharing information and experiences with a group of students from a range of different disciplines also offers you interesting insights.
The university-based sessions offer you clearly defined periods of time for you to take a break from everyday work and family life and concentrate on your studies.
University-based sessions are spread over lecture semesters 1 to 4.
How long does the course of study last?
The course of study covers five semesters. The teaching takes place on Fridays and Saturdays every two weeks. The course also provides for a two-week study period abroad.
How is the course structured?
The course covers five semesters with a total of 441 teaching units (TU) of 45 minutes each. After successful completion of the course, you will be awarded the internationally recognised Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree. You will earn 90 ECTS from this degree programme. University-based sessions only take place in the first four semesters. Students will spend the fifth semester working on their master’s thesis.
When can I start the course?
You can start the course either in the summer semester (early March) or in the winter semester (mid/late September).
Are the costs of the tuition fees tax deductible?
The tuition fees as well as all costs associated with your studies are fully tax deductible.
What is the difference between consecutive, non-consecutive and continuing master's programmes?
- Consecutive programmes build directly on the previous bachelor’s degree in terms of content and usually also in terms of time. They are therefore a continuation of the first degree.
- Non-consecutive programmes do not build directly on the content of a first degree and open up new subject areas or are interdisciplinary.
- Postgraduate master's programmes require at least two years’ professional experience after completing the first degree.
How much does it cost?
The cost is EUR 2,780 per semester, totalling EUR 13,900 for the entire course.
This includes the costs of attendance, the e-learning units and the support from the lecturers.
There is also a student union fee payable each semester.
Costs of organising and coordinating the study trip are included in the tuition fees. However, the fees do not cover the costs of flights, board and accommodation during the study trip abroad.
What does a Master of Business Administration degree give me?
During your studies, you will learn to become proficient in business management and decision-making. This will prepare you for taking on management roles or help you in carrying out such roles.
The Centre for Continuing Education therefore provides you with in-depth and practical-based knowledge in key operational functional areas and in cross-divisional and management roles. We equip you with personal key skills. You will be able to understand complex macroeconomic relationships, take these into consideration when making decisions, successfully implement required change processes and direct company departments or companies in the defined direction.
This degree programme will allow you to reflect on your leadership role, learn about HR management and strengthen your leadership personality by means of discussions and presentations in an interdisciplinary group environment.
We want to use the international focus of the course to raise awareness of the problems and challenges arising from the internationalisation and globalisation of the economy.
The expertise and knowledge that you will acquire in this degree programme are relevant for use in companies of various sizes in a wide range of industries. Successful completion of the course will enable you to carry out roles in general management.
When I submitted my application online, I received the following notification regarding the status of my application: "Provisionally rejected". What does this mean?
The application process is an online process. If you are told that your application has been "provisionally rejected", this may mean that you still have to submit documents or sit an entrance examination.
If you have any questions about your application or your status, please contact us. We will then refer your enquiry to the examination office and help you in the application process.
find out about what others think about the degree programme.