Ap­plic­a­tion for In­ter­na­tional Stu­dents

Ex­change stu­dent or de­gree seek­ing stu­dent?

  • ­čÄô

    As an international degree seeking student at HNU you have gained your university entrance qualification abroad and would like to enrol at HNU to study for a bachelor or master degree.

    You can find all information here.

  • ­čöä

    You are an exchange student if you are enrolled at one of our partner universities or at another university abroad. You join us as part of an exchange program (Erasmus+, university partnership, double degree) or as a freemover and study at HNU for one or two semesters without graduating.

    You can find all information about exchange studies at the International Office.

Ques­tions about the ap­plic­a­tion?

Peter Mar­quetand

Deputy Head of Studies Office

Contact person for application and admission for Master's programs and international applicants

Phone: +49 731 /9762-2003

Location: Main Building A, A.1.24

To profile of Peter Marquetand

Ap­plic­a­tion and ad­mis­sion for in­ter­na­tional de­gree seek­ing stu­dents

During your studies you have the same rights and obligations as German students.

When applying, the same procedures and deadlines are applicable to you as to the German applicants in the respective degree programme. You can find out which ones they are from the respective degree programme.

In addition to this application process, you must meet two further requirements:

  •     Your certificate must be checked and validated via uni-assist
  •     You must provide the required language certificates in due time

Im­port­ant no­tice!

The evaluation of the certificate by uni-assist does not replace the application to the HNU!

Im­port­ant in­form­a­tion on en­ter­ing Ger­many

Entry for the purpose of taking up studies as well as study visits for individual semesters are possible. This has to be proven with the admission letter of the university. Proof of compulsory physical attendance is no longer required.


You have to take care of these three pro­cesses:

Ap­plic­a­tion to the HNU

  1. You apply for your degree programme in the same way and with the same deadlines as regular applicants.

    Click here to find out how to apply for your degree programme.


Eval­u­ation of cer­ti­fic­ates by uni-as­sist

  1. You register at www.uni-assist.de (opens in a new window)

    You should start this process as early as possible. To proceed with your application beyond a certain point, the HNU requires the results from uni-assist.

  2. There you fill in the necessary information online and upload your documents.

  3. On uni-assist you select the HNU study programmes for which you want to apply.

  4. You pay the fees to uni-assist.

  5. uni-assist evaluates the documents.

  6. uni-assist informs the HNU of the result of the evaluation, the HNU continues with the further procedure.

Lan­guage cer­ti­fic­ates

  1. Acquire language certificate.

    Please check the FAQ below


  2. Hand in certificate by the deadline.

    Please check the FAQ below


Eval­u­ation of cer­ti­fic­ates

Why do I have to have my certificate evaluated externally?

In view of the large number of school and university systems and grading systems worldwide, we rely on external experts who check for us whether the present certificate entitles the holder to a bachelor's or master's degree course and which German grade the final grade corresponds to.

This task is performed by uni-assist.

How does the evaluation process work?

  1. You register at www.uni-assist.de.

  2. There you fill in the necessary information online and upload your documents.

  3. On uni-assist you select the HNU study programmes for which you want to apply.

  4. You pay the fees to uni-assist.

  5. You send the documents to uni-assist.

  6. uni-assist evaluates the documents.

  7. uni-assist informs the HNU about the result of the evaluation.

  8. The HNU continues with the further procedure.

How much time do I have to plan for this? Are there deadlines?

At the latest by the respective application deadline for the degree course, uni-assist must be able to check your documents. This means that your documents must have been received by uni-assist in the required form and you must have paid the fees.

uni-assist may take up to six weeks to check your documents. Especially if you depend on a quick feedback from HNU (e.g. because you need a letter of admission for your visa application), all documents should be received by uni-assist at least six weeks before the application deadline.

I already have a evaluation for my diploma. Do I still have to run it through uni-assist again?

Have you already gone through the evaluation of your certificate (with grade conversion) from a German institution? Then there is a chance that you will not have to go through the uni-assist process again.

Please send a scan of your certificate and letter of recognition immediately to studium[at]hs-neu-ulm[dot]de with the request to check whether we can accept this evaluation for your application at HNU.

Can I find out in advance whether I can study in Germany with my school leaving certificate?

Yes, non-binding information on the validity of foreign degrees can be obtained from the anabin database (opens in a new window).

For many countries, the DAAD has prepared the anabin information more clearly and also translated it into English. You can find this information in the DAAD admissions database (opens in a new window).

Lan­guage cer­ti­fic­ates

When do I have to present the language certificates?

Depending on the language required, you will have different deadlines for submitting the supporting documents:

  • English language certificates: to be submitted by the closing date for applications at the latest
  • German language certificates: to be submitted at the latest for enrolment

Which language certificates do I need for degree courses taught in German?

In all degree programmes in which German is the predominant language of instruction, you must provide proof of German language skills for enrolment.

This is C1 for the following degree courses:

  • all Bachelor's programmes (except Data Science Management, Digital Enterprise Management, Game Production and Management and Industrial Psychology)
  • all part-time continuing education programmes (except Digital Management and Technologies)
  • Master of Advanced Management

This is B2 for the following degree courses:

  • Data Science Management
  • Digital Enterprise Management
  • Digital Healthcare Managament
  • Digital Management and Technologies
  • Game Production and Management
  • Industrial Psychology

You can prove your C1 language level with the following certificates, among others:

  • Deutsche Sprachpr├╝fung f├╝r den Hochschulzugang (DSH): at least DSH-2
  • Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache (TestDaF): at least TDN 4 in all subtests
  • Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz (DSD): DSD II
  • Goethe-Zertifikat C 2: Gro├čes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (GDS)
  • telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule

Which language certificates do I need for degree courses taught in English?

In English-instructed degree programmes, proof of English language skills at level B2 must be submitted with the application. This applies to the following degree programmes:

  • Master of Business Intelligence and Business Analytics (BIA)
  • Master of International Corporate Communication and Media Management (ICCMM)
  • International Enterprise Information Management (IEIM)

You can prove the required language level in the following ways:

  • an appropriate result in a recognized language test
  • Proof of the relevant language skills through the school or university diploma
  • Completion of a proven course of study taught entirely in English
  • proof that the mother tongue is English

Non-native speakers of German must also provide proof of German language skills at level A1 when enrolling.

Can I do a preparatory course where I can reach the required level of German?

Unfortunately not at the Neu-Ulm University of Applied Sciences.

But if you are interested in studying at the HNU, you can take part in the preparatory semester "FOKuS - Fachliche Orientierung, Kultur und Studium" at the University of Ulm (opens in a new window).

There you can start at level B1 or B2 and reach C1 within a year or a semester.

Click here for the website: www.uni-ulm.de/fokus (opens in a new window)