Physician Assistant (BSc)
Have you already completed vocational training in the healthcare sector or learned a healthcare profession? And now you’d like to pursue further qualifications?
This bachelor’s degree programme will prepare you for a newly created job profile in the German healthcare system, which is already recognised by the German Medical Association (Bundesärztekammer) as well as the National Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians (kassenärztliche Bundesvereinigung).
Physician assistants work closely with doctors, taking on tasks and responsibilities delegated to them. They relieve doctors of some of their workload and play a significant role in ensuring continuity and a high level of quality in patient care.
This programme will provide you with an interdisciplinary education focusing on people, medicine, technology and healthcare management. You will acquire the skills and knowledge you will need to carry out your future tasks. A number of partnerships with companies and, in particular, close cooperation with hospitals, form the basis for an especially practical programme designed to comply with professional demands.
Summer semester: 1.12. until 15.1.
The programme is only offered in the summer semester.
You can only use the application portal during the application period.
- at least advanced technical college entrance qualification (valid in Bavaria)
- with at least 3 years of work experience after completion of the training, "studies without Abi" is also possible
- completed at least 2 years of vocational training in a recognised health profession
- You must submit a practical contract for the university internship before the start of lectures
- for international applicants: German C1
- the degree programme is (locally) admission restricted
Our phones are not currently staffed.
Please send us your questions and requests via email.
Basics of science
- Surgery/ Operating/ Medical Assistance
- Combining Anamnesis/ Physical Examination/ Diagnostics
- Surgery, Orthopaedics, Trauma Surgery
- Neurology, Psychiatry and Smaller Disciplines
- Emergency Medicine (Incl. Special Pharmaceuticals), Emergency Room Management
- Anaesthesiology/ Intensive Care Medicine
- Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery
Framework for clinical work
- Law / Ethics
- Medical Technology, Medical Equipment and Materials
- Social Medicine and Public Health
- Medical Information Systems
- Medical Controlling
- Healthcare Facility Management
- Quality / Risk Management, Process Management
Methodes and key qualifications
- Medical Communication
- Team Development, Conflict Management
- Scientific Practice and Methods of Empirical Social Research
- Clinical Studies, Statistics
- Project Management
- Bachelor’s Thesis & Seminar
1st + 2ndsemesters
- Basics of Science and Medicine (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology and Hygiene)
- Pharmacology, Toxicology, Pathology and Pathophysiology, Internal Medicine I
- Medical Communication
- Methods of Empirical Social Research, Scientific Practice
- Practical Application: Surgery, Operating, Medical Assistance, Anamnesis / Physical Examination, Operating/Lab/Functional Diagnostics, Case Management
3rd + 4thsemesters
- Clinical Medicine: Surgery/Orthopaedics/Trauma Surgery, Internal Medicine II, Emergency Medicine and Management, Neurology, Psychiatry, Gynaecology, Urology, Geriatrics
- Medical Law & Ethics – Medical Technology
- Team Development/Conflict Management
- Methodological Competence: Clinical Studies/Statistics
- Practical Application: Documentation, QM, Billing, Patient Interviews, Psychological Case Management
5th + 6thsemesters
- Medical Modules: Internal Medicine III, Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery
- Digitalisation in Healthcare: Medical Information Systems I and II, E-Health, Data Protection
- Project and Process Management
- Medical Controlling/ Medical Documentation/ Medical Accounting
- Practical Application: Social Medicine, Public Health, Operating Room Assistance
- Practical Application: Patient Care, Medical Healthcare, Scientific Methods
In the 7th semester of the degree specialisation programme, you can choose 4 electives from a wide range of subjects in order to customise your degree with a profile that suits your aspired career choice. Specialisations are offered in the following subject areas:
- Business studies
- Medical subjects
- Methodology and key qualifications
The internship semester (30 ECTS credits) is distributed among the first six semesters of study in the form of a “university internship”. This means that students benefit from continual involvement in patient care throughout their studies.
During the lecture-free period, students may also complete additional practical units at their internship site within the scope of a degree programme with intensive in-company training (Studium mit vertiefter Praxis).
Students are responsible for arranging their internships themselves. The internship position is first proposed by the student, and must then be approved by the internship coordinator. The internship contracted must be submitted by the start of the lecture period in the student’s semester of enrolment.
Cooperation partners for the university internship and the internship with intensive in-company training (vertiefte Praxis) are:
- Günzburg-Krumbach District Hospital, contact person: Ms Gudrun Egner
- Burgau Therapy Centre, contact person: Mr Prof Dr Andreas Bender
- RKU – University and Rehabilitation Clinics Ulm, contact person: Ms Ulrike Moldaschel
- Alb Fils Hospital, contact person: Ms Martina Heusel
- Rems-Murr Hospital, contact person: Ms Anja Krehahn
- Ulm University Medical Centre, contact person: Ms Carmen Zweifel
- Dillingen-Wertingen District Hospital, contact person: Ms Alexandra Eibl
- Ichenhausen Hospital, contact person: Mr. Stefan Krotschek
- Memmingen Hospital, contact person: Ms Miranda Luidl
(This list is continually being updated.)
The role of medical care and the healthcare and nursing system will continue to gain importance. As life expectancy rises, the percentage of older people in our total population increases. There are more people who require assistance. This career field is characterised by innovation, making the job of physician assistant a secure, interesting and fulfilling career choice. This programme offers opportunities for advanced academic qualification, in particular for healthcare professionals in the following positions: medical assistant, operating room assistant, medical radiology/lab assistant, paramedic or nursing staff.
Physician assistants are able to take on medical tasks delegated to them on the basis of their university education.
Physician assistants are already involved in the following areas today:
- continuity in patient care
- involvement in anamnesis, status assessment, diagnostics and creating treatment plans
- preparation for doctor rounds
- carrying out medical-technical tasks after training
- involvement or implementation through delegation in cases of wound treatment, emergency treatment, infusions and blood sampling
- preparation for and assistance with operations
- management of processes and ward procedures, organisation of patient admissions and discharges, preparation of applications for rehabilitation and follow-up treatment, involvement in operation management
- coordination of therapeutic teams
- communication and information appropriate for the recipient
- support with documentation tasks, certifications
- qualification for specialist healthcare professions
This programme is divided up into subject areas that are ideally learned in a block format on the HNU campus, supplemented by practical units completed in a medical facility. The internship semester, amounting to 30 ECTS credits, is spread out across the first six semesters as a “university internship”. This ensures your continual involvement in clinical patient care right from the beginning of your studies and provides you with opportunities to apply your acquired theoretical knowledge of specialist, methodological and social skills under academic supervision. The practical skills and knowledge are documented in a logbook and certified by medical specialists.
Supplemental practical units can also be completed during the lecture-free periods within the scope of a degree programme with intensive in-company training (Studium mit vertiefter Praxis). The major advantage to this form of studying is that you don’t have to completely forgo your practical work or your income, as is the case with many other degree programmes.
Once you have obtained a good overview of the field, you can choose 4 elective subjects to specialise in at the end of your studies. You are free to select the electives to reflect your your interests and aptitude.
Excursions and projects round off the programme.
Language of instruction / international orientation
There are no tuition fees.
A semester fee is collected each semester (administration fee and solidarity contribution).
Qualification for a master’s degree programme
The Physician Assistant programme qualifies you to pursue a master’s degree, e.g. in the fields of healthcare management, health sciences/public health or medical process management.
Bitte beachten Sie: Die Modulhandbücher wurden zum Zeitpunkt der jeweiligen Akkreditierung erstellt; sie werden seitdem fortlaufend überarbeitet und angepasst. Nichtsdestotrotz kann es zu Abweichungen vom aktuellen Stand kommen. Um diesen einzusehen, beachten Sie bitte die Fächerbeschreibungen für das jeweils aktuelle Semester, die Sie im Intranet finden. Insbesondere bei den jeweiligen Lehrenden kann es zu Änderungen kommen, die sich auch auf geänderte Unterrichtsinhalte auswirken können. Bei Abweichungen zwischen Modulhandbuch und Studien- und Prüfungsordnung ist die jeweilige Studien- und Prüfungsordnung maßgeblich.