Work ex­per­i­ence abroad dur­ing your stud­ies

What options do I have to spend a certain period of my studies abroad?

  • Semester abroad at a partner university
  • Double Degree at a partner university
  • Semester abroad at a university that is not a partner university (as a so-called "freemover")
  • Participation in an International  Summer School or Winter School
  • Internship abroad
  • additional voluntary internship abroad with the possibility to obtain the certificate "Study with Deepened Practice - Study and Work International"
  • Thesis abroad
  • Participation in an excursion abroad
  • and, last but not least, an internship in another European country after your studies with an Erasmus+ scholarship

Where can I find information?

On the web pages of the International Office under Study abroad (opens in a new window) (opens in a new window)and Internship Abroad (opens in a new window)as well as in the Moodle course "Services IO (opens in a new window)" you will find all important information including field reports, organizational tips, recordings of the information sessions, job advertisements and application links.

For information on the excursions abroad, please contact the professor in charge in the faculties.

When and how do I apply for an internship or thesis abroad?

You should send your applications about four to six months before the planned start of the internship. It always depends a bit on the company and the country, for example how long it takes to get the visa. It is best to inform yourself early, we recommend one year in advance. Then you will have enough time to prepare a really convincing application.

Recommendation: Attend the application workshop "Successful CVs" (opens in a new window).

In the Moodle course "Services IO" (opens in a new window) you will find numerous tips for a good application:

Where can I find job offers for an internship or thesis abroad?

In the Moodle course "Services IO (opens in a new window)" you will find concrete job offers as well as links to search portals where you can also find your dream job.

Also the experience reports of your fellow students as well as the list of companies will help you, because you can see where HNU students have already been and maybe there is a chance for a successor.

Can I get financial support for my stay abroad?

The chances for financial support are good. There are several options:

Scholarships (opens in a new window)

  • A very important option are the Erasmus+ scholarships,  as the chances to get the funding are very good and the funding amount is comparatively high. In almost all cases, you will automatically receive the grant approval as soon as you have received an Erasmus+ exchange place at a partner university in Europe.
  •  With good or very good grades, you also have the chance to receive various performance scholarships such as the scholarship "Hochschule International", HAW.International, etc.
  • The Bavarian university centres award mobility grants for China, Latin America, India, France, the Czech Republic and Central, Eastern and South-Eastern Europe.
  • BAföG for studies abroad
  • Study Loans

In­ter­na­tional Of­fice – Stu­dent Ex­change Out­go­ing