HNU library is your partner in academics, for both HNU members and citizens in the Ulm/Neu-Ulm area.
We offer consulting, practical workshops, modern learning areas – and of course a broad selection of information media on:
- Economic siences
- Computer and information science
Please send general requests (e. g. your certificate for de-registration) to our institutional mail address or use our online contact form. This ensures that your request is processed even if individual members of the library are on vacation or sick.
- Deputy Head of the Library
- Member of the Staff Council
- Consulting on literature research, databases, Zotero, EndNote
- Head of the Library
- Organisation/personnel administration/budget
- Media selection and content indexing
- Training events for statistical databases and company information
Timeline of HNU library
Find out where it all began and what happened since. For example: Did you know we achieved first place of all Bavarian libraries of universities of applied sciences in 2010?
2020 - now
- Since September 2022, all HNU theses are integrated into the publication archive E-Prints. Theses without a blocking notice are available as full texts.
- The library introduced the citation software Zotero to all HNU members, created an hour and a half long videotutorial for YouTube and programmed the citation styles of HNU professors for Zotero.
- "Healthy University" – The library promotes physical activity by providing new furniture like elliptical trainers, wobble stools, deskcycles and a deskbike.
- Since summer 2022 there are tabletop games for loan. You can find them in the library catalogue by entering 800/* into the signature search category.
- Two new themed newspapers: 'Sustainability Press II' and 'Addiction'
- Due to energy conservation efforts, room temperature must not exceed 19 °C. To compensate for this, the library offers warm blankets.
- Diversity-friendly renaming of carrels and library rooms after namesakes with scientific and thematic connections to one of the three HNU faculties. In addition to the name, the plates also include short biographies explaining the significance and role model function of the excellent women and men.
- New: Payment of fees also possible via bank transfer
- Optimization of accessibility by adding protective strips to all glass elements
- Relaunch of the internal web pages
- Library expansion: continuation of construction work on the 1st floor
Corona impacts library service: reduced opening hours to complete closure, limited learning space in library, book deposit via lockers or mail delivery, online training, focus on e-media, mask mandatory, safety distances and separations
Exhibition of themed newspapers: 'Innovation Press' and 'Language Press'
Library expansion - Construction work resumes on 1st floor
New video tutorial on 'self-management'
Removal of card deposit procedure and change to electronic user applications
2010 - 2019
- Collection: ca. 53000 printed media, ca. 5200 e-books, 145 printed journals, ca. 10500 e-journals
- HNU library is awarded 2nd place in BIX library index (category: libraries of universities of applied sciences)
- Children's reading corner established
- Citavi citation software is licensed and the library trains students in using it
- Students can buy discarded books at the new book flea market
- Electronic course reserves (ESA) for professors established
- A high performance scanner lets customers scan texts directly onto a USB stick
- Shelves of printed journals now feature a QR code to online full text, if available
- Students can buy earplugs at a new vending machine
- New reference library for the Health Management Department in Steubenstraße, Neu-Ulm
- Student assisstants can now apply for a job online
- Book swap shelf established
- Disc golf sets can be borrowed at the library service desk and used at the Wiley park (where the national horticultural show was held)
- Collection: ca. 60000 printed media and AV media, 149 printed journals, ca. 9000 e-journals, ca. 30000 e-books
- Library exhibition as a part of HNU anniversary "Impulse – Innovation – Veränderung" ( = "impulses - innovation - change")
- Relaunch of library homepage
- Shelf marks for printed media for corresponding e-books with QR codes that lead to full text
- „C-Pen“ – a scanning pen which lets you scan texts and import them into your word processor
- Scan-mouses (loan period: two weeks) let you scan texts and tables and export them as pictures, text files or even Excel tables
- Additional high performance scanner
- Two more scanning pens
- EndNote citation software is licensed (version: EndNote X7) and the library trains students in using it
- Electronic course reserves (ESA) can now be ordered via a online form
- Citation styles at HNU are now presented on a subpage of the library page
- This timeline is established
- The first Citavi citation styles and EndNote citation styles are programmed and hosted by the library
- New research interface at the library workstations
- Extended opening hours during exams
- Self-payment station for library charges
- Students can access e-books off-campus via EZproxy
- All shelf labels are translated into English for incoming students
- The library now provides you with technical equipment, e. g. PowerPoint presenters, powerbanks, charging cables, docking stations, adapters etc.
- Publications of HNU professors and academic and research assistants are now listed in the HNU publication database
- Calligraphy exhibition as a part of HNU culture programme
- Relaunch of the library catalogue with added features, e. g. inclusion of results of licensed databases
- New library workshop: "Schnellkurs Wissenschaftliches Schreiben" ( = "Crash course academic writing")
- New chairs in the children's reading corner
- BibWiki: knowledge management of internal library procedures
- Participation in "Bridge the Gap", a project funded by Stifterverband and initiated by Prof. Dr. Claudia Kocian-Dirr. A blended learning course on academic writing was created with the help of one of the hosts of popular children's series "Sendung mit der Maus", Christoph Biemann.
- All library workshops are now available online on YouTube, e. g. Citavi, EndNote or Microsoft Word. Every video comes with a hyperlinked table of contents.
- Writing consulting in the library helps students in writing their seminar papers or their theses.
- "Help us fix the library": HNU library participates in the 150th anniversary of Neu-Ulm and the 25th anniversary of HNU.
- Participation in "InnoSÜD-Blickpunkte" on sustainability - exhibition of the library newspaper "Nachhaltigkeitspresse" ( = "Sustainability press") and book exhibition
- Library extension: construction work begins. A circular staircase is built, the entry area is being remodeled, carpet in the reading room is replaced
2000 - 2009
- Collection as of winter semester 1999/2000: ca. 15000 books, journals and newspapers; databases on CD-ROM: wiso, Europages, Gablers Wirtschaftslexikon, Hoppenstedt’s
- Library catalogue OPACplus is now available online
- New media are presented in an extra shelf
- exhibition of „Sculptair“ - Gedankenflüge - by Thomas Kroiher
- HNU library gets own subpage on HNU website
- First library workshops Bibliotheksschulungen „Einführung in die Bibliotheksbenutzung mit Schulung am Online-Katalog und Darstellung der Recherchemöglichkeiten in CD-ROM-Datenbanken“ ( = "Introduction into using the library, the library catalogue and databases on CD-Rom")
- Due to a return box, media return becomes independent of opening hours
- Remodeling of interlibrary loan: online interlibrary loan is implemented
- Collection: 36577 volumes/items and 149 journals and newspapers
- The green "Radio corner" provides you with both programmes of Deutschlandradio: Deutschlandfunk and Deutschlandradio Kultur.
- Collection: ca. 40000 volumes/items
- RFID implementation is requested
- The first e-books are licensed (publisher: Springer)
- Relocation into the new HNU building in Wileystraße 1, Neu-Ulm comes with an increase in size: 937 m²
- Awarded in BIX (federal comparison) for academic libraries - goal dimension: efficiency
- Workshops are now held in the new teaching room and provide participants with 18 laptops
- All media get RFID chips, borrowing and returning are converted to RFID
- Returning media is independent because of a return box in the HNU entrance hall
- New library offerings are presented on a screen
- HNU thesis database is established
- 80 baskets help customers in carrying their books
- Self-service station: You can borrow books on your own; and books are secured automatically.
- Students now have access to caddies and carrels (lockers on rolls and rentable private desks)
- Opening hours are extended from 42 hours to 50 hours
- HNU library starts participating in HNU culture programme and will host book exhibitions and other activities
- Neu-Ulm University of Applied Sciences is founded as a department of Kempten University of Applied Sciences
- For the next 14 years, HNU library is hosted in what used to be a sports hall and the adjacent dressing rooms of an American High School (size: 431 m²)
- Interlibrary loan is established
- HNU theses are now being archived
- Neu-Ulm University of Applied Sciences becomes independent from Kempten University of Applied Sciences
- Collection as of winter semester 1997/1998: ca. 7000 books plus journals and newspapers, access to wiso database via CD-ROM